In case you are seeing dark circles under the eyes and you are looking for some home remedy for treating them, then you are going to be happy to learn that there is a solution that will help you. Dark circles could make you feel like you are Dracula’s friend but they are relatively easy to get rid of, and you can do that from the comfort of your home.
As a person grows older, the skin starts to change. As a result of increased daily stress and fatigue levels, lots of us don’t sleep so well anymore – and all that is shown on our face.
Our age is showed in our eyes and the stress levels more than any other part of the face because the skin surrounding the eye area is very sensitive and soft. Thinning skin, pigmentation irregularities, a decrease in collagen and fat levels, could also be potential reasons for the dark circles.
In addition to stress and age, genetics and allergies play a very significant role in the way the skin around the eye area looks. Some people get puffy bags under the eyes and the others have dark circles.
Sometimes what you may be thinking that are dark circles actually are not. Instead, they could be shadows cast by puffy eyelids or some natural hollowness under the eyes caused by genetic factors.
There are many women who choose to cover the dark under-eye circles by using makeup, but that doesn’t really fix the real cause of the problem – unless you buy some really good quality products such as Sisel Transfusium.
Luckily for you, there is a nice selection of home remedies for dark circles around the eyes which have proven to be very effective. Some general lifestyle changes could help, such as for example staying hydrated, getting a good night’s sleep, and trying not to rub your eyes – however you can complement these with some natural DIY treatments that you could apply to the under-eyes area.
These Are The Best Dark Circle Home Remedies
- Almond Oil
This oil is a great natural ingredient which is very beneficial for the delicate skin around the eyes. If you use almond oil regularly it could help fade the dark circles under the eyes. In addition to the almond oil, you can start using vitamin E oil for the same purpose.
- Before you go to bed, apply a bit of almond oil over the dark circles and gently massage it into your skin.
- Leave it to stay overnight.
- The next morning, wash your face with cold water.
- Use this remedy every day until the dark circles disappear.
Cucumbers have mild astringent and skin-lightening properties which are able to help fix those raccoon eyes on a natural way. Plus, they have a refreshing and soothing effect.
You need to cut a fresh cucumber into thick slices and then chill them in the fridge for around half an hour. Put the cucumber slices onto the affected skin area for around 10 minutes. Afterwards, wash the area with water. Repeat two times a day for a period of a week or more.
Another option is to mix lemon juice with cucumber juice in same amounts. With cotton ball apply the mixture on the affected skin area. Leave it on for around 15 minutes and after that wash it off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy every day for at least one week.
- Raw Potato
There are some natural bleaching agents that are present in potato which have the ability to help to lighten the dark circles and to get rid of the puffiness around the eyes.
Grate 1-2 raw potatoes to extract the juice. Soak a cotton ball in the potato juice and simply put it over closed eyes. The juice needs to cover the dark circles under the eyes and also the eyelids. Allow the juice to sit for around 10 – 15 minutes. Rinse the eyelids well with cool water. Repeat 1-2 times a day for a few weeks.
Other than potato juice, you could also use thick potato slices for removing the dark circles around the eyes.
- Rose Water
Rose water has amazing ingredient for skin care. It rejuvenates the skin and it also has a soothing effect on tired eyes. Thanks to its mild astringent properties, rose water also works as a good skin toner.
- Soak a cotton pad in pure rose water for a moment.
- Put two soaked pad on your closed eyelids.
- Leave them on for around 15 minutes.
- Do this treatment twice a day for a period a few weeks.
They have bleaching properties that are able to lighten skin to a great extent.
Mix a teaspoon of tomato juice with one-half teaspoon of lemon juice. You will need to gently apply this mixture on dark circles around the eyes and allow it to sit for about 10 minutes. Rinse it off with water afterwards. Follow this remedy two times a day for a few weeks. If you just use tomato juice could also work.
You could also drink one glass of tomato juice with lemon juice, some mint leaves, and salt. For maximum results, you will need to drink this juice immediately after making it. Drink it 1-2 times a day for about a week.
- Lemon Juice
The vitamin C that is present in lemon juice will also help remove the dark circles under the eyes, because of its skin-lightening properties.
Using a cotton ball you need to apply fresh lemon juice around the eyes. Then, leave it on for about 10 minutes and after that rinse it off. Do this once a day for a period of a couple of weeks.
There is an alternative to this remedy, which is to make a thick paste by mixing turmeric powder, a tablespoon of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of tomato puree, and a pinch of gram flour (besan). Apply the thick paste gently around the eyes. After 10 to 15 minutes you should rinse it off with clean water. Repeat 2-3 times every week.
Note: If the lemon juice is causing you a burning sensation you need to stop using it.
- Coconut Oil
Massaging with coconut oil is one more very effective natural remedy fir lightening dark circles. Thanks to its moisturizing quality, the coconut oil also stimulates smooth skin and prevents the wrinkles and fine lines under the eyes.
- Simply massage a bit of extra-virgin coconut oil on the under eye area.
- Leave it on for a couple of hours, and then wash it off.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day for a few months or until you are satisfied with your results.
- Tea Bags
The antioxidants and caffeine that are present in the tea can be extremely beneficial for getting rid of the dark circles and also the puffiness under the eyes by shrinking the blood vessels and also reducing fluid retention. The tannins, in particular, are the ones who help decrease discoloration and swelling.
- Chill two used black or green tea bags in the fridge for around 30 minutes.
- Place a tea bag over each eye and leave it on for around 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and wash the face.
- Repeat 1-2 times a day for a few weeks.
Note: You should be careful not to get the tea into your eyes.
- Cold Compress
Cold compress could constrict the blood vessels under the eyes and also help a lot in reducing the eye puffiness and dark circles.
You need to soak a washcloth in cold milk or cold water. Put it over closed eyelids for a couple of minutes.
Alternatively, you could wrap a few ice cubes in some soft napkin and place it under the eyes for a couple of minutes. You can also use some bag of frozen peas, chilled tea bag or a cold spoon.
Follow these remedies several times during the day.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that are able to help minimize the dark circles. It’s also going to make the skin around the eyes softer and smoother.
- You will need to mix 2 teaspoons each of turmeric powder with pineapple juice and make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste onto the affected area.
- Leave it on for around 10 minutes and then wipe it away with a soft, damp cloth.
- Do this every day until you get positive results.
Dark Circle Home Remedies – Additional Tips
- Get adequate rest and sleep.
- Avoid rubbing the eyes too much or very often because that is causing the blood vessels to dilate, and on that way making the under eye circles appear darker.
- Limit your sun exposure.
- Remove the make-up before going to bed because it could irritate the eyes.
- Drink a lot of water during the day to get rid of water retention that might be causing the problem.
- You should pay attention to your diet and eat foods that are rich in vitamins A, C and E.
- To avoid eye bags that are caused by pooling of fluids in your lower eyelids, you need to elevate your head by adding two or more pillows under your head before you go to bed.
- Stop smoking and reduce your alcohol and caffeine consumption; smoking damages the skin cells, and the caffeine and alcohol contribute to dehydration that in turn weakens the delicate skin around your eyes.
Of course there are many over the counter drugs and creams which are claiming to reduce the dark color and fine lines around eyes, but it’s always best to try some dark circle home remedies for treatment of the delicate eye area.